Goulet has high expectations in Cluster 3

“Though I don’t have her for class, every time I walk through the halls I encounter her bubbly personality,” said Jeremy, a seventh-grader, about Lynette Goulet.

This is Mrs. Goulet’s third year teaching Cluster 3 seventh-grade humanities at Watertown Middle School.

Students have different opinions about all teachers. Some students argue that she is one of the nicest teachers and others have said that she is strict.

Here is her side of that story: “I have very high expectations for all my students, and expect them to always be on their best behavior,’’ she said. “There are times where I like to laugh a lot, and other times when we need to focus on getting our work done.”

Mrs. Goulet tests in a variety of ways. Students’ favorite kind of tests are true-false and multiple choice, but Mrs. Goulet does not like those kinds. She says its doesn’t give the students a chance to express how they feel, which is why she enjoys giving projects, having them solve problems, and asking deep questions.

Mrs. Goulet has a different homework style. She doesn’t believe in giving out homework for no reason at all. Instead of calling it “homework,” she calls it “daily practice.” She thinks students should practice something each night, or prepare for something that they will be doing in class the following day. She gives daily practice pretty consistently, but not too much a night.

Mrs. Goulet and Mr. Oates, the Cluster 3 math teacher, are always back and forth joking around with each other.

One of Mrs. Goulet’s favorite memories from this year is when Shannon Murphy scored on Mr. Oates during one of the student-faculty basketball games.

“Mr. Oates is a big ball player and to see an eighth-grader score on him made everyone excited, except himself.

“Just to see everyones face light up, and then to see everyone stand up and scream and cheer for her, it was crazy!” she said with a laugh.

Besides working at WMS, Mrs. Goulet has a very fun and exciting life. She has been a fan of traveling since she was a kid, so it’s no surprise that she will be going on a 10-day cruise this August.

It was a surprise by her husband. He gave her clues everyday, and on the last day of clues, there was a ship in her sink. On this cruise, she’ll be able to visit Italy, Greece, and Turkey, and she is ecstatic!

Mrs. Goulet also loves to read. (No wonder she’s a humanities teacher!)

When she was a kid, she formed a singing group with a few of her friends, and they practiced at recess. This only lasted about a month though, but Mrs. Goulet said it was a lot of fun and she enjoyed it.

Mrs. Goulet would like to have kids in the future. Her husband would like a big family, because he is one of six, but Mrs. Goulet would rather have just two or three.

For now, Mrs. Goulet considers her students as her children, since she’s with them five days a week for six hours a day. So whenever someone asks her, “Do you have kids” or “How many kids do you have?” she always answers, “About 50,” she says, giggling.

“I have such a passion for my job,” Mrs. Goulet said excitedly. “I love waking up everyday and knowing that I am going to a great place!”

–May 21, 2013–