McKnight fits in nicely

New eighth-grade humanities teacher Whitney McKnight came to Watertown after spending a year in New York City getting her masters in education.

KAYLEE C., Watertown Splash staff reporter

New eighth-grade humanities teacher Whitney McKnight is enjoying her first few months at Watertown Middle School.

“It’s great teaching eighth grade, because they are on the cusp of becoming high school students, so there’s a lot of intensity,’’ she said. “Also, eighth-graders have a better sense of humor and we can get through more complicated discussions faster.”

Mrs. McKnight taught the seventh grade for three years in Alexandria, Va., before spending last year in New York City getting her masters in education at Columbia Teachers College. She moved up here this summer because her husband is getting his graduate degree at Harvard University.

She likes teaching the eighth-grade students, but what do they think of her?

According to Francesca Belli, “Her class is interesting because she makes learning enjoyable.”

Jaqui Russo said, “Mrs. McKnight is awesome, nice, friendly, and the best teacher ever!”

Andre Gellerman added, “Mrs. McKnight is cool because she’s very independent.”

Mrs. McKnight is enjoying her new job, and it appears that most of her students like having her here as well.

–Dec. 1, 2009–