Eighth-graders want another shot at WMS teachers

Student-faculty basketball rematch to benefit Pennies for Patients set for Thursday, March 16, in Watertown Middle School gym at 6 p.m.

The year’s first student-faculty basketball game at Watertown Middle School was played Feb. 17, 2017.

Ennya Papastoitsis, Watertown Splash staff

On Friday, Feb. 17, 2017, at Watertown Middle School, the teachers beat the students, 62-60, in basketball game. The game is a school tradition in which teachers compete against eighth-grade students on the last day of Spirit Week.

This year, it was eventful and entertaining to watch for all. It was School Spirit Day and each grade wore a different school color, so the bleachers of the gym were filled with black, red, and white. Kids cheered from their seats and teachers walked around, holding signs in support of the teacher team. Everyone was filled with anticipation.

Just before the game, the room went quiet as a group of chorus students sang a graceful version of the national anthem. After that, it was time for basketball, and the players ran enthusiastically out into the court.

Caiden Kiani, a player on the student team, said, “I felt pumped and excited to play. I had a lot of adrenaline.”

The game was fast paced, and every point scored was met with boos and cheers. Poppy music played between the quarters and throughout the game, the WMS Eagle (who was a student dressed up as the school mascot) strode around the room, high-fiving everyone.

Students from Watertown High school helped referee the game, along with Phil Oates, a former math teacher at Watertown Middle School. The students and teachers were all very happy to see him at the school again, and he was greeted with many warm welcomes.

Throughout the game, the score stayed very close. Chris McDermott, a member of the teacher team, agreed.

“Just when it seemed like one team had the advantage, the other always came firing back,” he said.

The teams were definitely evenly matched and it was only in the last quarter that the teachers overtook the students by 2 points. The last few minutes were wild, and the students fought to regain their lead. However there wasn’t quite enough time and the teachers won, 62-60. They were definitely very happy about it.

“I think the teachers felt good about winning the game since it’s always nice when us old teachers feel like we can still do athletic things,” Mr. McDermott said. “But more importantly, the teachers just enjoy having fun playing basketball with our awesome students.”

The students didn’t take the loss too badly. Teodora Misic, one of the coaches of the student team, said, “I think everyone was upset we lost, but we still had fun playing so everyone got over it pretty quickly.”

In the end, there were no hard feelings between the teams and the game was a great way to end Spirit Week and bring the whole school together.

However, the competition between the teams isn’t over yet!

As a way to raise money for Pennies for Patients, the teams will be having a rematch game on Thursday, March 16, starting at 6 p.m. at Watertown Middle School.

Tickets are $3 for students, $5 for adults. There will be a 50-50 raffle, as well as pizza, baked goodies, and water for sale, with all proceeds going to support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Will it be a chance for the students to right their wrongs or will the teachers beat them again?

–March 15, 2017–